This was definitely a fun project. It’s always rewarding to see a good transformation of a piece of vintage furniture. Upholstery can be time consuming and it really gives your fingers a workout, but the end results are so worth it. Just as a reminder, I bought this settee and decided to reupholster it. It had good bones, is well made and is super comfy. It was just very dated.
I pulled off all the old upholstery and the old cotton batting. I also removed the arms and legs and sanded them down to the raw wood. Given the good bones of this settee, I decided to keep the back “deconstructed”. This basically means that there is no upholstery on the back so you can see the wooden structure of the piece.
I prefer a cleaner version of deconstructed furniture. Some people choose to keep the original furniture webbing exposed. My preference is for that to be covered with burlap.
Also, as a quick reminder, I raided my stash of antique fabrics and decided to use some antique French mattress ticking for this project. It is such a great weight and tight weave that it is perfect for upholstery.
Without further ado – here is the after. I intend to bring this with me to at least one of the shows that I will be selling at this year.
Now here are some photos of the deconstructed back.
As an aside, our favorite SLH employee, Belle, found the reupholstered settee to be very comfortable. I think she claimed it as her own.