The purpose of the “Sky Lark House: Monthly Unboxing” post is to highlight some of the more popular posts shared during the previous month. We are unboxing all the DIYs, vintage items, antiques, furniture makeovers and crafts shared during the previous month. Basically, I am “unpacking” information shared within the last 30 or so days.
I am also collaborating with three other amazing bloggers and we share our handpicked favorite finds with you.
I will also be sharing some posts, information and events from around the world that you may be interested in.
So let’s get started!
An Antique Table for a Wedding Cake
Spoiler alert, Mr. SLH and I are getting married in September. So when we found this antique table at an outdoor market, we knew it would be perfect for our wedding cake. You can read more about an antique table for a wedding cake.
6 Containers as Decorative Floral Vases
While I hardly need an excuse to bring fresh flowers into our home, photographing the post on 6 Vintage Containers as Decorative Floral Vases was so much fun! It was a great reason to go to Trader Joe’s to buy bunches of fresh flowers and then photograph them in different vintage containers.
DIY Gilded Mirror
This summer has been full of good finds! In addition to the antique table, I also was lucky enough to stumble upon a large beautiful vintage mirror. Although, truth be told, it needed some love. The once gold frame surrounding the mirror looked more like a dull brown. So, in the post on a DIY Gilded Mirror, I walk you through the steps for restoring the gold finish.
Bonus, this was a fairly easy project and didn’t require much time.
Late Summer Wreath
Some people are annoyed that I am acknowledging that summer is winding down. As someone who looks forward to summer during 6 months of winter, I completely get it. However, before the season is over, I thought you might like some ideas on creating a Late Summer Wreath. It’s the perfect decor to bridge the gap between late summer and fall. I promise, no pumpkins are involved.
In related news
I fell in love with this post on garden antiques and antique inspired finds. That white enamel wall sink is fabulous!
You have to check out this amazing DIY with transfer tape. I love the antique look they give to any item.
I am so inspired by how this gardener planted this thin strip of soil between her home and patio.
Speaking of gardening, I am thinking about taking one of Floret Flowers online courses. I still have so much to learn about gardening. Or as I like to say being a flower grower.
My friend CoCo has the best post on 10 Things that Made the Biggest Difference This Year. She is always the voice of reason and optimism.
Rachel has the best advice on how to thrift for vintage books. Can a girl have too many vintage books? Silly question.
You have GOT to see the interior of this home where a midcentury cottage meets meets primitive antiques style.
Finally, I think I have a new favorite color from the MMS milk paint company.
I got together with some of my favorite bloggers and we are sharing our 4 favorite finds for the coming month.
Anna from Sky Lark House
These finds are items that I have ordered, currently use and enjoy. I am linking the actual product I purchased, not a similar item.
- I am always on the lookout for dressy tops that I can wear to work. However, I have some pretty strict requirements for a work top, including; it has be machine washable, it can’t require ironing, and it has to be made of a “flowy” material. This top meets all of those requirements and looks cute! I now own 3 of these tops in different colors and patterns.
- If you have been reading the last few Unboxing Posts, you will see that I have been following a plant based diet. Part of that includes cutting back significantly on sugar. So, I have been using Agave Nectar instead. As an added bonus, it was less expensive to order the agave nectar online than it was to buy it in the local grocery store.
- With all the heat and humidity that summer brings, I am always wearing my hair up. Usually I use a claw clip, grab some sunglasses and then head out the door. A couple of weeks ago, my hair clip that I have used almost every day for the last 2 years broke! It was my favorite accessory and I was lost without it. So, I was delighted when I found the same brand of hair clip for sale on Amazon. It’s a little more expensive but worth it!
- Finally, I just have to share one last thing. Did you know you can buy wedding dresses on Amazon? Our wedding is going to be a fairly small and simple event. More of a nice luncheon than a full blown wedding. I want a dress that matches the occasion. A tea length dress and something without a “train” is what I envision. So, I wanted to share this dress, this dress and this dress with you. I ordered all three, intend to try them on and return the ones that don’t fit. P.S. I promise these dresses won’t break the bank.
Cindy from Reinvented Delaware
Cindy from Reinvented Delaware has a fabulous blog where she shows you how to refurbish furniture and repurpose thrifted items.
- One of the most used tools in my workshop is my shop vac. Until a couple of months ago, I had one that was always in the way! So I bought a wall-mounted shop vac. This one has a long hose and is a game-changer! Along with my Quick Flip Drive Drill Bit, these are my most used and favorite tools!
- Have you tried any of the Elf Cosmetics yet? They are so affordable and feel great on my skin! I have the Camo CC Cream, the Primer Infused Blush, and my fave, the Ultra Precise Brow Pencil. These three make up (haha!) my basic ready-for-the-day face!
- My skin has been loving Josie Maran Argan Glow Body Butter and Body Oil Mist which my mom bought for my birthday. It’s a luxurious treat after my nightly shower. My hair hasn’t felt better since I started using Infusium Leave-In Treatment. It’s a conditioner that doesn’t weigh your hair down. (BTW, give your girlfriends a nice little gift by filling these adorable amber glass bottles with Infusium! They will love it! Add a gift tag and you will make her day bright!)
- I bought a Brother P-Touch Label Maker and I can’t wait to use it!! It will be here today! I even bought extra tape because I plan on labeling E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G!!
Regina from Saved From Salvage
Regina is also a fellow refurbisher of furniture. Her blog, Saved From Salvage , is full of inspiration and great craft ideas.
- Ryze Organic Mushroom Coffee: Ok, so now two friends have tried this so I had to get on board. I have just begun adding to my regular coffee and am excited to see how I feel (after covid). All the benefits can’t be a bad thing. A powder with the cutest spoon included, let me know what you think.
- Uproot Cleaner: Pet hair remover for carpet and fabric. I vacuum, I dust, I sweep, I brush the dogs, but the hair keeps coming. My steps will never be the same again with this tool to get the hair from the carpet. Gets what the vacuum misses.
- Audible: Do you enjoy reading? It’s something I’ve been doing more of this summer and found the easiest way to do it. Similar goals? Then an Audible membership may be just what you need. Check out their free trial for 30 days. So many titles to choose from and from the comfort of your home.
- White Bowls: We had bowls from Ikea I loved but the last one finally bit the dust. These are the perfect size for our nightly salads. Smaller than our normal, they hold plenty and are simple, attractive and microwave safe. They come in sets of 6.
Lora from Lora Bloomquist
If you love vintage and antique items, Lora Bloomquist has some inspiration for you. Her blog Lora Bloomquist Create and Ponder is full of ideas for repurposing and reusing these items.
- Late summer is all about the golden glow, and I love filling my kitchen with the beautiful deep shade of yellow. It’s like the late summer sunshine! My kitchen sink is enjoying THIS scent of my favorite soap, and I picked up a few new kitchen towels like THESE, too.
- THESE vintage-inspired new glasses are just what we needed. I got a box of blue and a box of green to coordinate with our kitchen. Everyone agrees they’re the perfect weight and size, and I love the vintage-look relief pattern. They come in other colors, too. They look so pretty on our open shelves!
- August is definitely sunflower month! I’ve started spotting them growing alongside the road; time to grab a bucket of water and scissors and do some curbside picking;) Seasonal pillow covers with old pickup trucks and sunflowers have farmstand charm this time of year. You can find similar ones HERE, HERE, HERE, or HERE. So easy to swap up inexpensive pillow covers seasonally! (And run, don’t walk to Trader Joe’s for these awesome oversized felted wool sunflowers-otherwise look HERE for handcrafted ones)
- I’ve been enjoying my mom’s collection of THESE poultry-inspired vintage dishes. The colors work perfectly in my fruit-themed, nostalgic summer kitchen (see it HERE). Anyone else collect these, or love chicken-themed decor? Think I need to get some real chickens:)
In Closing . . .
Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I hope you are taking advantage of all that summer has to offer.
If you like the information on vintage/antique items, furniture makeovers and crafts that I share with you, please subscribe to my blog. I will share these types of posts with you via email. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest.